RCU Forums - View Single Post - Guillow's P-40 RC Conversion
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 09:11 PM
clively

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillow's P-40 RC Conversion

Well, MotoCalc was unkind to my setup. I had originally envisioned using the Great Planes T-280 4.1 geared setup. When I installed the motor into the yet to be fully complete plane and did some initial testing it "felt" as if the plane wouldn't get off the ground.

So, I downloaded motocalc and entered all the relevant data. The result: that motor wouldn't provide enough thrust to maintain a level flight, if it managed to get off the ground at all.

After scratching my chin I decided to look at the Graupner speed 300 with various gearing from 3.5 to 4.1. This showed promise, but the flight times just weren't what I was hoping for. After some more juking with the numbers I settled on the GWS EPS-300C-AS motor / gear combo. The gearing is at 3.75, 9x6 prop, and (I believe) a speed 370 motor.

For speed control I'll be using the C-10 from great planes. For battery it'll be a 6 cell 650mAh battery. Motocalc predicts a level flight for roughly 60% throttle for a maximum of 23 minutes. Not bad.

I went ahead and ordered the motor/gearbox from my LHS, we'll see if it's really better or not...