RCU Forums - View Single Post - covering and painting Spacewalker II
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 06:56 PM
woodys3b
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: covering and painting Spacewalker II

Wow, big question! There have been books writen on this!! Recommend you get one.

Now, here is my $.02. I too really like Solartex. I am currently painting mine with dope using a brush. It actually works really well. My mistake was not putting a base coat on Nitrate dope down first to make the Butyrate dope stick to the fabric better. However, it is coming out very nice.

You sound like you want to use latex. Probably a wise decision. Model Airplane News did a "how to" on doing this and I think you can find it using the search function. They recommend using house paint thinned with windshield washer fluid and spraying it on. Clean up should be a breeze. They recommend using a two part epoxy for the fuel proofing. If you use varnish, don't use oil based stuff because it tends to yellow. One other tip. After you have masked off the area to be painted, brush on a coat of clear along the edge of the masking tape. The clear will bleed under the masking tape and seal it so your color coat won't bleed under it. This makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck and post some pictures when you get it done!

Andy