RCU Forums - View Single Post - Paramount 52/70 3D ARF Conversion and Review. Unlimited 3D Performance!!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:51 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sportsman Aviation Paramount 52/70 3D ARF Conversion and Review

In order to accomodate the larger 15" prop I planned on using I put a call into TNT Landing gear in order to get a custom gear set made for this plane. Working with the guys at TNT was a pleasure. The process was very simple. Just go to their website and fill out the custom gear PDF form for what you need.

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/...ustom_gear.htm

I took measurements of the stock gear and basically made the custom gear the same but 3 inches taller to give loads of prop clearance. I also did away with the small wheel pants that came with the kit and put on larger Dubro wheels as I fly off grass.

When ordering custom gear you can get various thickness of metal. I got 2 different ones sent as I was not sure which one would be best. The thinner metal weighed in around 2 ounces and the thicker one was a little over 4 ounces. I felt the thinner one was a touch to weak for the weight of this plane so I went with the thicker one and had my buddy who is a machinist drill a few holes in it to reduce the weight a bit..

The gear bolts on using 3 socket head bolts which is the same way the stock gear would attach. This setup provides for plenty of prop clearance and all the strength you need.

For a little flare my buddy took a sander to the gear and put that "brushed metal" look in it. Nice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44878.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	248030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48767.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	248031