RCU Forums - View Single Post - AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 11:51 PM
jetpilotrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

This is the first of several posts I plan to put up for everyone who is building the AKM SU-27 Flanker. I have had 4 very successful flights now with little to no problems. The following posts are what I think are enhancements or improvements to an already fantastic plane!

The first photo is a picture of the plan where I added a third rudder hinge to my plane. The hinge is in RED. All surfaces in high speed applications are subject to "aerodynamic flutter" which can result in catastrophic failure and loss of the entire aircraft. The Jett Engine I used is a great match for this plane but will also increase many of the loads imposed on your plane and increase the risk of flutter. I have had some flutter in the SU-27 rudders but they were strong enough to withstand the pounding. I also used a "TOE IN" (see picture #3) technique on both the rudders to put a constant load on them... it seems to help reduce flutter. Picture #4 is an early picture of a piece of tri-stock I added to the rudder before gluing it on to the fuselage... I think it makes it A LOT STRONGER!! It at least tripled the surface area where it is glued to the inside lower skin.

Photo #2 is a photo of the plan which shows a piece of tri-stock (SHOWN IN RED) I added to increase the gluing area of the landing gear block. It makes the gear block strong especially if you are flying off of a grass strip!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84240.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	249117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40110.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	249118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24170.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	32.3 KB