View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 06:03 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Another R54 flies!
YUP!
Dave Rigotti is no longer a zero time turbine pilot!
With the help of Jim Hiller (MA turbine columnist) the Rigotti Reaction 54 took to the air for the first time. After quite a few mis-starts due to the cold weather we got her spooled up and Jim had the honors of the first take-off. After about a 300 foot ground roll she lifted off and climbed out very well. After several laps he made the commnet that he has not needed to touch the trims! "Oh Yeah!" He handed the control to me and I flew around for the next five minutes doing loops, rolls, split S's and the like. I set up for landing and dropped full flap and the nose pitched down a bit, not a lot, just a bit (too much down mix, my fault). Brought her on to final and had to stretch the approach a bit and had a minor bounce. No gamage at all. HEY BRUCE...the flaps are big enough!!!

About an hour later after a through check over we were ready to try again. Took out all but 5% down trim mix with flaps this try. I taxi'd to the end of the runway and spooled up...took off with a grunt of up elevator and climbed out AOK. The grass field at this time of year is pretty poor. Again, loops rolls, and photo passes were flown. She handles like a well behaved low wing sport plane should. ROCK SOLID! Forgot to start the timer (DOH!) so I setup for landing using half flap and proceeded to "grease her in". I think I like half flap better! No tendency to drop a wing, kinda "locked on" and just a matter of elevator timing for the flare.

I'll post some pics and video (from the still camera) shortly........

Thank You Bruce Tharpe! I know the road was bumpy for both of us at times. You have a great airplane to be proud of.
Thank You Tim for ALL the PM keeping me focused and allowing me a sanity check at times.
Thank You to my family...The allowed HOURS spent away with this endeavor is appreciated
And of course
Thank You Connie for allowing, yet another segment of the hobby, to be enjoyed. :-))

Dave "turbine pilot" Rigotti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33766.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	249525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37441.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	249526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91735.jpg
Views:	74