RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does AMA have a real future?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 10:12 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Does AMA have a real future?

This is entirely my own opinion, so all are welcome to agree or disagree. I am not here to convince anyone of anything! I just want to share a few thoughts I have on the subject of the Park Flyers. First of all, and in my opinion, it seems to me that the majority of those that have allready joined AMA have done so for insurance reasons, or just because there Club says that they have to do it. So I believe that if the AMA can find a way to make the Members it allready has see the AMA as more than an Insurance Company, and see the AMA as an organization that you would voluntarily join because it is something that you would like to be a part of, rather then something you feel like you are forced into belonging, then this would be a major first step in the right direction!

If the AMA could accomplish this among the Membership it allready has, then the Park Flyers who have the little extra money to spend would want to be a part of AMA just to belong to something that they would be proud to be a part of. How does AMA accomplish some of this? First of all I don't think the AMA utillizes the Internet very well. I think they would do well to have there own exclusive Members areas full of good forums like here at RCU, AMA Member only auctions and Classifieds that Cater to all types of Flying. I also don't know why the AMA don't use its Membership as a bargaining tool with Manufacturers to offer Coupons and such to AMA only members which will include Park Flyers. The AMA could bargain with Manufactures, and offer Members Money Saving Coupons exclusive to AMA Members that would completely offset the cost of Membership over a years time if enough of the coupons were used. The AMA could definately throw there weight around more to get more benefits for its members. What if the AMA was able to have certain ARF Manufacturers, or Kit Manufactures produce certain exclusive AMA Airplanes that AMA Members only could order, and only one allowed per member so as not to have people ordering a bunch for non AMA Members, or have an exclusive AMA Site to order from?

A neat ParkFlyer offered only through the AMA, and only to AMA Members. I am not saying that AMA should get into the Plane Building or Distributing Business, but they could make deals with Manufacturers like Sig or Great Planes, etc. etc. In my mind you have to give people reasons why they want to join, and not make them feel like they have to join! The AMA could also use its bargaining Power with Franchised walk in hobby shops like Hobbytown, and others to offer a discount to AMA members. If you could find a way to insure that only AMA Members could get these benefits, you could also have big Distributers like Tower give special discounts to AMA only members, and figure out a way to prevent AMA Members from just giving there card to a non AMA Member to use. A good tight system would have to be put in Place to insure that only AMA Members would be able to reap these benefits. If this could be accomplished, and AMA could make people feel like the cost of Membership is offset by all the benefits, then you would see a huge surge in membership among all types of Flyers in my opinion!

AMA could offer Local MOM/POP Hobby Shops a little Free advertising among there Websites, and listings in the back of MA Mag if they become a AMA Silver Star Hobby Shop that offers a discount to AMA Members, or they could become an AMA Gold Star Hobby Shop, and recieve a Nice Spot in Model Aviation Magazine for one month if they can sell a certain amount of AMA Memberships in a years time, and remain a gold Star for every year that they accomplish that number. In return the AMA could use its Membership Numbers to draw attention to Companies that participate in helping to promote AMA.

AMA could also do well in my opinion to only let advertisers in the Model Aviation Magazine that participate in promoting AMA, and offer its Members exclusive benefits that are not be available to non AMA Members.

In my opinion, Insurance is not going to attract Park Flyers to AMA. AMA is going to have to find a way to make there Member Services so great that whether you fly a Park Flyer, or a 33% Yak, you will want to be a part of AMA. AMA also would have to find ways to use its "strength in numbers" to its advantage to offer benefits that will offset the cost of Membership, which could simply be accomplished by its bargaining power it should have with Manufacturers and Distributors.

One last thing I would think would help is if AMA recruited some spokespeople for the AMA to discuss AMA issues on an AMA Members only Forum! These way Members would actually feel that they have a voice in the AMA, and can have someone who is allowed to discuss issues about the AMA with its Membership. I guess what I am trying to say is the AMA needs to get more personal with its membership, and get more involved with communicating with the little people. Let the Members know that you genuinely care about there concerns, and get more involved in whats going on at local levels! The Members needs to feel like the AMA is working exclusively for them. I think the AMA needs a more local feel, and not such a long distance feel. Even though there Headquarters is in my neighboring state, they could be located in Germany, and would do me about as good as it does now.

I can see an exclusive AMA Member Forum of the future where people could be talking about the Newest AMA exclusive Plane for that year which is this awesome Parkflyer that will hover all day long on these new futuristic Batteries that are offered at a great price if you happen to be a member of AMA. People will be disscusing AMA like its a privalage, and not as " Well I got it just in case I injure my friend standing by me at the field!" The Insurance should just another benefit that comes with being a Member, and not the sole reason in my opinion. In the future I hope people are talking about all the cool things that come with being an AMA member, and are able to look at AMA as a great organization that benefits all those with an interest in Model Flying, and not just looked at as a State Farm or Country Companies, or a mandate to join the Club!