RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does AMA have a real future?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 12:13 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does AMA have a real future?

EASYTIGER

Since, according to Mr. Cain, you have “a record of spouting history as he himself so writes it”, let's allow Mr. Cain’s own words to jog your memory. Please keep in mind that submissions to Model Aviation Magazine appeared in the issue dated about 3 months after the submission was made (i.e. a December submission likely appears in the February issue of MA). EASYTIGER, perhaps you can explain to me why the EVP position would have reduced the personal issues that Mr. Cain had with the VP position to make the EVP position less burdensome on him. By the statements in his April '82 column he did not know he had lost the election until after his resignation as VP had been tendered. The Minutes show that he submitted his resignation before the January '82 EC meeting. EASYTIGER, I hope Mr. Cain has been helpful in refreshing your memory.

ORIGINAL: Hossfly (post #12, this thread)

During that time, Fall of '81, I ran for EVP, and if plurality had been effective then --as now -- I would have moved into that slot. Unfortunately in the run-off, I did not win. That loss plus a very big down-slide at work created a situation where I could no longer accomplish a fair duty for those I represented. Something had to give. The AMA DVP was that something.
I was flying for UAL and I was a DC-8 First Officer. There was a large reduction in UAL's pilot force. In Jun. '81, I was surplussed from the DC-8, back to the 727 FO, then to the DC-10 2nd/O position and then in Feb. '82 back to DC-8 2/O. In 7 months while doing a LOT for AMA, I had to attend THREE 4-week UAL schools for requalification in different equipment. (Without computers back then it took time to communicate with the Clubs.) Besides being ready to sign off UAL, I had 3 kids in universities. I simply had to make a change. I did.

From the AMA News section November 1981 issue of Model Aviation Magazine,
Synopsis of August 1 Executive Council Meeting:

“b. Nominations. The names of those accepted for the 1981 election ballot are: Secretary/Treasurer--H. Cain, H. Crispin; District I—E. Izzo, J. Smith; III-D. Brown, E. Witt; V—B. Mathews; VII H. Brodersen; IX—T. McGinnis; XI—H. Smith, E. McCullough.”

From the AMA News section, February 1982, Model Aviation Magazine, District VI Report

Quote Horrace Cain:

“And, now for the finale: Jim Sears will at some time this year assume this postion of AMA District VI Vice-President. Jim resides in Burgin, KY, and is a computer analyst for IBM. He is a hard worker and will do a fine job. Exact details and time will be announced at a later date. Happy Landings! Happy New Year!”

From the AMA News section, April 1982 edition of Model Aviation Magazine, District VI Report.

Quote Horrace Cain: first paragraph of the report:

“Notice: Jim Sears, Burgin, KY, is the new Vice President for AMA District VI. Due to changes in the AMA Bylaws, I thought it better to do this early and assure you of a good working VP.”

Quote Horrace Cain: last paragraph, same report:

“So, my friends, if I’m your AMA Secretary/Treasurer (Executive Vice President – new Bylaws), then you will be hearing a lot more from me. If not, then I’ll see you around a few of the Q-500 races this year and some fun flies next year. It’s 1/4-Scale for this lad, so win or lose, let’s keep in touch. Again, thanks to all of you—it’s been a great time for me. FRIENDLY SKIES FOREVER!”

From AMA News section, May 1982 edition of Model Aviation Magazine

Synopsis 1/30/82 Executive Council Meeting:

“ 1. VP Replacement. The President noted that Horrace Cain, former Vice President of AMA District 6 had resigned on January 22, in accordance with Bylaws in effect at the time, and that Associate Vice-President, Jim Sears, Burgin, KY, was then automatically named District 6 VP based on previous Executive Council decision.”

“3. Runoff Election. It was announced that Jim McNeill had won over Horrace Cain by an almost 2 to 1 margin and was therefore the new Executive Vice-President and chief financial officer of AMA, in accordance with the Bylaws changes which established the new title in place of the former Secretary/Treasurer position.”