RCU Forums - View Single Post - Easy fix for glo motors KICKS
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 04:25 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Easy fix for glo motors KICKS

Circa 1966, I would buy two packs of carbon-zinc D cells and then wire them in parallel (4 cells total), soldering right to the batteries. You have to be quick and have a seriously hot soldering iron in order to get away with this! The Weller 500 watter worked just fine on the 250 watt setting. I am not advising anyone to do this. I was not aware of the danger I was in at that time. I used lamp cord from a new el cheapo extension cord and a Dubro glow plug clip. This crude combination, with copious amounts of black electrical tape applied, would often last me over a year of constant service. I flew control line back then and this was before electric starters were common.

The above set up worked reliably year after year (making a new pack every Spring - of course) until I began using a field box with a glow ignition panel that was powered by a 12 volt lead acid battery. The latter set up, while reliable most of the time, was not as reliable as the old carbon-zinc battery set up.

Later, I began using nicads in their familiar Dubro holders. They were reliable too, if you remembered to charge them.

I worked in outside sales for a good portion of my life. The first thing we were taught to do was to create a problem and then offer the solution - for a price. Some things never change.

Isn't capitalism grand? <G>

Ed Cregger