RCU Forums - View Single Post - monokote hinges
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 01:41 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: monokote hinges

ORIGINAL: majortom-RCU
The problem is with my latest instance of this technique, in which I used an old roll of monokote...

So I am still sold on the idea of film hinges, but I think I will use ultracote from now on instead of monokote for this purpose.
I just love this kind of reasoning. You've got an old roll of something, and compare its performance to a new roll of something else. The most humorous part is people completely missed this and said things like " Monokote seems to have gone downhill". Some folks are so quick to hop on the "Monokote is bad" bandwagon...

How old was that Monokote? Have you stored it carefully, or has it been subject to extreme temperature and humidity variations? Much to everyone's surprise, adhesives and plastics do not last forever. Their life span is greatly influenced by the conditions in which they are kept. When they get old, they get brittle.

I've recently used some old (more than 15 years) and new Monokote. I found they both worked exactly the same as they did 20+ years ago when I first used Monokote. I'm not disputing other people's experiences, or preferences of people who have tried both, I just have not experienced the problems some people are so vocal about.