RCU Forums - View Single Post - AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

I found that trying to sand the charred edges on laser cut wood parts is a PITA...

So I came up with something else: I use a small, fine brass wire brush to remove the carbon. That way every part that you touch doesn't get black finger prints all over it. The same goes for your sanding blocks: you can still use them for without messing everything up with carbon...

Ordinary white wood glue (is that aliphatic glue?) is great for glueing on sheeting (and butt joining it) and stuff like that. It allows you to make corrections if necessary, and it sands easily. And it's strong too. The fast kinds set up in about 5 minutes, so it's not that slow.

If you are using epoxy you must make sure the carbon is gone, or it will not stick properly. CA doesn't have as much problems with it, because it wicks through the carbon layer.

Make sure your center fuse is well pinned down. It has to take some force when you are bending and glueing the 1/4" sheeting.
I also used a lot of rubber bands to hold everything together while setting up the formers and fuse sides.