RCU Forums - View Single Post - monokote hinges
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 12:09 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: monokote hinges

ORIGINAL: mirwin

This is all very interesting, fellas. I've also used monokote hinges in the past, but I think I'll switch over to ultracote.

The question now is: how well will the ultracote hinges adhere to the monokote covering? I've not heard good things about that.
I often use more than one type of covering one the same airplane for a variety of reasons - what I have on hand, how much strength the covering needs to provide for any given component, color choices, etc.

I've had no problems getting any iron on film to adhere to any other iron on film.

My favorite film by far is Oracover Lite. I bought some when I was in Germany and it is the easiest to apply, doesn't sag in the Florida sun and it stays down. It's much more pliable than Monokote or Oracover/UltraCote and can go around compound curves with no wrinkles.

I would be leary about using it on anything larger than a .60 size ship though. I have used it on some wings that were very flexible before they were covered and even though it's more pliable than other coverings it still stiffened the wing adequately.

The only place that I know carries Oracover Lite is Hobby Lobby. Beware of the transparent yellow. I bought a roll on two separate occasions and both rolls were defective. The first roll was mottled as if the adhesive/color had large fish-eyes. The second roll had streaks running the length of the roll.

As far as adhesion goes, you have to make sure the surface is clean. Just because you may not have touched it and then wiped it off doesn't mean it's clean. There can be skin oils on the covering or mold release and who knows what else. Before you iron the hinge down be sure to wipe down the covering with alcohol or acetone.

[link=http://airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/construction/film_hinges/index.htm]This is how I apply film hinges[/link]