RCU Forums - View Single Post - dear sig mfg
Thread: dear sig mfg
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dear sig mfg

I hear ya. When I got back into RC some years ago, I quickly realized building is out of the question. I still got the fully frame-up Kadet Seniorita wing, which I stretched to 71' wing span, sitting next to the rest of the kit box - one of the several kit-builds I aborted. After that, just to get my building kicks, I ended up modifying a few ARFs, some of which ended up looking nothing like the original ARF. Slowly though, I am loosing even the luxury of being able to modify ARFs. The last ARF I did any major work on was a Sig Kadet Sr that I converted to tail dragger and added wheelpants. These days, I'd be lucky to get enough time to assemly an ARF - no mods - in 3months!

Still, there are plenty of things you can do to an ARF to customize it, if you are not concerned about cost or time. For one thing, it is exceedingly easy to turn any ARF into an ARC. Once you are down to bare frame, you can change the tail feather shapes, add wingtips, modify aileron, add flaps, etc. If you can't find a kit for an airplane you're looking for but there is an ARF available, it's not a bad option to go with.

Or you can always get one of the custom kit cutters to do a kit for you from plan. You might have to wait a while and spend more than you would an ARF, but the choice is there.