Thread: dear sig mfg
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 09:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: dear sig mfg

I'm not going to let my emotions get as strong as Kelldog's, but I've got pretty much the same feelings as he does. Please bear with me for a moment as I express this out. I have nothing against ARF's, I've built and flown several of them and will more than likely do it again. But here is the way I look at this.

An ARF that I bought 90% pre-built and I finished the final assembly. Yes, I'm going to enjoy flying it. Yes, I'm going enjoy hearing others say it's a nice plane. Yes, it's a good feeling. No, I don't like it that my plane looks like hundreds of others just like it.

A kit that I bought 0% pre-built and I finished the ENTIRE plane. YES, I'm going to be proud of my work. YES, I am going to glow when people congratulate me on my work. YES, I'm going to revel in the fact there are NO other planes that look like it.

Now here is a real world situation to back up my views.

The first plane (first 2 pictures) is a Dave Patrick Ultimate Bipe (ARF), YS 120, Airtronics RD 6000 computer radio, 100 oz servos on the rudder and elevator. Total cost of the plane, radio, motor, and misc. gear approx. $1,200

The second plane (last 2 pictures) is a Great Planes Slow Poke 40 (kit), OS 52 Surpass, Airtronics Vanguard radio (10 years old), standard servos all around. I picked the plane and motor up from somebody getting out of the hobby for $200. Radio and servos I already laying around. Total cost of plane, motor, radio, and all the extras to finish the plane approx. $400

When I showed up at the field with the Ultimate everybody ohh'ed and aww'ed for 5-10 minutes about the plane and watched the first flight. After that, it was just another plane at the field. When I showed up the the Slow Poke I spent almost an hour and half telling people how I built and covered it. I've got almost 35 flights on it now, and still every time I fly it everybody stops to watch it. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but just trying to make a point. I get more reaction at the field from the plane I built than that "show stopping" ARF.

Oh yeah, before I forget, which one do you think that I'm more proud of? If there are any doubts it's the Slow Poke. And the time I spend at the building table putting it together are some of the most relaxing and enjoyable time I spent in this hobby. I can't even remember the time that I spent on the ARF.

Thanks for hearing me on my soapbox
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11783.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	258327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92887.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	258328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35836.jpg
Views:	26