RCU Forums - View Single Post - A first glider and first venture into airborn rc.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Cummins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A first glider and first venture into airborn rc.

Hi,
I am looking at a way of getting into RC gliding to see whether it would be a hobby I would enjoy and be able to do. I live in an area where finding some open space with stong(ish) winds would be no problem whatsoever. I would like to get a powered glider and start make a decent step into the world of gliding, preferably starting with a small glider and building it up from a kit, the problem is, finding a place to get gliders in the UK. [link=http://www.srcm.co.uk/system/index.html]This[/link] is about the only place I know so if you have a link please give it me. Also, with a non-powered glider, ie. the tradional type of throw em and fly em, how easy is it to get some altitude to do some decent soaring with? I thought that gliding was "chuck it off a hill and fly it around until it runs out of air to fly and hits the ground at the bottom of the hill" but is it possible to hand launch a non-powered glider on a flat surface like a playing field and get some decent altitude to soar? If it is, then I would probably go for a non-powered. Also, budget is a HUGE consideration and I may end up having to buy the air-frame then save up for the radio or vice verser. Any info/criticisms/advice/link/vids/etc would be HUGELY useful as it is hard to find a site which has a large amount of information aimed at the novice like me and gives a guide on the "how to get into RC gliding" thing as it looks hugely enjoyable. Also, to help me make up my mind, would it be better for me to get a simulator (Real Flight G3) so I can see how each type of model (trainer/3D/glider/heli/scale) is like to operate? I would like to get a trainer anyway. Also, is there any free plans for scratch building a good beginners glider instead of buying a kit. Thanks in advance,

Chris.