RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Park Flying"
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 06:51 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Park Flying"

strupp,
I regularly fly slope gliders at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Slopers there share the air with hang gliders and parasailers and it's a lot of fun. A couple of years ago I was preparing my Gentle Lady for a flight (light winds that day) when this guy came up to me and very officiously announced "You can't fly that thing here!" I shot back that I certainly could and had been doing so for a number of years. He repeated once again that I couldn't fly here. Finally, with my prep complete, I took my glider in hand and asked him WHY . Once more, his booming voice answered "You can't fly that here, THEY MAKE TOO MUCH NOISE!!!" At this point I launched, waited a few seconds, glanced over at him and quietly said "Mister, you're making more noise than this GLIDER will ever make!" He beat a very hasty retreat down the dune and I had a good laugh and a very enjoyable flight.
Some people just have to push their weight around, even if they have absolutely no right to do so. Next time you see that guy who thinks you're illegal, call his bluff and tell him to go ahead and call the cops. You'll probably end up having a good laugh at HIS expense.

papermache