RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Spectra Maiden
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Spectra Maiden

Hi,

Had a really good time building and flying my GP Spectra ARF. Got five flights in yesterday with 7-cell 1900 mah battery packs on the stock motor with a direct drive Graupner 8X4.5 folder. A combination of wind rising off the ocean bluff and thermals from a field on top of the bluff made for 20 minute flights. The plane was very responsive in the air but still very managable and stable with throws set to 150% of recommended. The 10 mph wind made my seven or eight landings easier than I had thought. Not a bit of damage, except for a small tear in the bottom of the wing covering from hitting a dirt clod.

The plane is stock except for some triangle balsa glued in the bottom corners of the receiver and battery compartments, some neoprene padding under the battery, and Dubro plastic laser pushrods. After the first two flights, I added 1/6 of an ounce of lead to the tail to keep the nose up in turns. I also taped over the vent openings in the bottom fuselage covering to keep dirt and grass out. Overheating was not a problem.

Equipment is a HiTec 6-channel mini receiver a hiTec HS-81 and a Hobbico c-12 mini servos. 30 amp GP ESC. The ARF manual was easy to follow with no surprises. The parts all fit with minimal sanding and the battery can be changed without removing the wing.

I taped the wing halves together with two strips of reinforcing tape running under the spar and the trailing edge, and then clear packing tape around the center joint. The wings and tail feather disassemble for transport if necessary.

Regards.