RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spoked wheels -- no soldering needed!
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 11:01 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spoked wheels -- no soldering needed!

Reg, you can be sure it'll be much appreciated! I'm a sucker for these kinds of modeling tips -- particularly knowledge from now forgotten or out-of-print sources. I suppose that's the researcher in me. I'll keep everyone updated on the molding process. I'm slowly working my way through the other materials you sent. Thanks again for those!

Now if we can just convince the new makers of the WB Vintage Wheels to go with GREY wheels instead of Black!!! It's funny how the myth of the black tire has taken hold so firmly. A month ago I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that all wheels were black. But according to all the experts (many of them VERY knowledgeable) over on the Aerodrome Forum WWI never (almost never?) had black tires. Rather the tires were made of natural rubber (whitish, yellowish, pinkish) with perhaps a bit of carbon black for resistance to sunlight (thus grey). Add to this the usual muck and grime that would be ground into the rubber and there you have it: GRUNDGE COLORED! Some seem to think some of the later Allied planes had somewhat darker tires. Of course if you modeling a replica the replica (and most Museum example) will have newer replacement tires probably in black rubber.

When TopGun WWI entrees, the the ubiquitous DVa's start shwoing up with grey, tan, or even pinkish tires THEN the myth will have been defeated! It's very tough for a commercial company to go against common wisdom even common wisdom in wrong.