RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2002, 04:27 PM
jpmorgan
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building one now!

The kit is a good one to build.
The instructions are clear, but may require some rereading by the builder. The building techniques are straight up and to the point with lots of tips for each stage.
The guys at OMP have a good product and I suspect we'll see lots of these planes at a field near you!

I'll be using a Moki 2.10 with a standard muffler ( on back order ) from Horizon Hobbies.
The tail surfaces will have Futaba 9303, and JR 4131's.
I think I'll use Futaba 9202's on the ailerons with large DuBro arms.

The pictures given in black and white need to be improved but they do help.
The first wing half goes good but the second half that you'll build goes twice as fast. My advice is to leave the wing on your building board for at least 18 hours before you pick it up and turn it over. CA glue sets fast but cures out much slower and you may induce warps.
I like the 2 piece wing that joins to the center section, VIA aluminum tube and 1/4-20 bolts. even if you drive a car the fuse will fit. It's only 71" long. Fold down the passenger seat, stick the nose in the floorboard and head on out to the Field!

Jigs are given for the wings and center section.
I think OMP needs to put another 4" piece of shear webbing balsa in the kit. I ran short! Sure you can use some of the left over 3" but I'd rather get it all in one shot.
I added shear webbing to the center section that goes all the way across the ribs, top and bottom. The plans show the webbing going to the inboard ribs only. That's OK, I just like to beef up certain area's of a kit. That's the glory of building a kit!

Got questions? Ask me, I'll tell ya what I can.
Perry