RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A plans for a new flyer wanted!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 12:16 AM
burtcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A plans for a new flyer wanted!

In my humble opinion the best trainer for a guy like you is a 1/2A RC Texaco model. These are competion models it's true but, they fly very slowly, gently and don't break the bank building them. You need two channels, I don't care what you use for a TX, all you need is a two channel RX and small servo's. I use Futaba 133's which are big by todays standards and my planes come in underweight.

The rules (go to the SAM website for details) call for a 1/2A Cox Reed Valve Engine with and 5.1cc tank (baby bee etc) a maximum prop of 8" if wood and two channels. If you never fly in contests use the 8cc tanks (black widow, golden bee, large Texaco tank etc.). The model must be an old timer and must weigh 8 ozs. per square foot of wing area. That's it. I use a hand-assembled engine with a Cox muffler (allowed). I am using an old KK Texaco back plate but you can achieve the same results if you leave the Needle Valve Spring off and substitute a piece of silicon fuel tube and a washer in it's place. This dampens the vibrations, and provides a fiction fit for the needle valve. Cox reed valve engines tend to retune themselves in the air if you don't; this kills the engine and may burn out the glow head. I use 10% nitro in the summer (15% in the winter) with an once of caster oil added per quart. I usually use two to three head gaskets and an 8-4 WOOD prop with a non-contacting Cox spring starter at the front end.

If I may be so bold, I'd suggest Peter Bower's Flybaby. I myself will argue that it's not the best (no such thing) but it will hold it's own alongside others if I do my part. It handles the wind well and is a great sport flyer as well. The model has 300 sq." of wing which is perfect (16.66 oz.); if built to the original size. I am working on my second Flybaby. The model has lots of dihedral and is very stable in the air (there is no such thing as a self-correcting trainer - get over it, they will all crash if they get bent out of shape). The model is mostly sticks and yes it has an undercambered airfoil (don't let this scare you off, it's a babe). The Flybaby does want 6300-6500 RPM, More is gravy but not less; keep in mind Texaco is a fuel economy game. Lower RPM's are good, higher RPM's are bad - at least for contest work Models will vary in what they need.

I retired the first model after hundreds of flights only because it looked really scruffy and was getting pretty oil soaked, I mean: mica film was flapping in the wind. I built the first one in two weeks and that allowed for a few test/warm up flights before the contest. As I recall I got 85 flight out of the original glow head. The Flybaby can be flown with the trim tabs or just by bumping the sticks. 5.1cc's of fuel will keep it in the air under power for about 4 1/2 minutes, any more than this and you have to earn it. The model will land it's self, keep the wings level and get your fingers off the sticks. With no apologies, the Flybaby can be rudder rolled and will loop from a dive.

The plans came from Model Builder (now extinct) but you can still get them from who ever peddles the Model Builder plans. Turns out that's Bill Northrope.

HTH - Steve B.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90275.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	260878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67846.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	260879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo32036.jpg
Views:	11