RCU Forums - View Single Post - Peel Ply techniques
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 10:01 AM
TGDF
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peel Ply techniques

What, if any, is the best way to use peel ply? What do YOU use peel ply/release film for? I know what it is supposed to do. What was the last/most interesting actual application where you used it?

In one of Rutan's books he recommends using peel ply over an overlap of fabric so that the edge of the fabric will stay down and so the resin will fill in a bit under the peel ply. That will give a smooth, usually hump free overlap.

But how do you hold down the peel ply? I find I only get this smooth an overlap when I vacuum bag. Sometimes if I carefully wrap and secure a small piece I can get the peel ply tight enough for marginally acceptable results, but nothing beats the finish, adhesion, uniformity of lamination thickness and perfect resin content I get with bagged peel ply.

Ordinarily I lay up the work with a moderately generous amount of resin (not sloppy and dripping) and apply the peel ply dry. Is there a circumstance when one might want to wet out the peel ply?

Also, I reuse peel ply where the finish of the work is not critical. I get small thin pieces of the prior lamination that pull off the peel ply and may be a different color that the piece at hand. Does anybody else reuse the stuff? Its expensive!