RCU Forums - View Single Post - Peel Ply techniques
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 03:07 PM
davidfee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peel Ply techniques

To lay up the wing and control surface as one lamination I'd have to have some kind of precision machine to cut through all but one layer of laminate and leave the last one intact. Again, that's just me.
It's really not that difficult. I've used thin dremel cut-off wheels (hand held, not motorized), the edge of a triangular file.. even the corner of a single-edged razor blade... all guided by a steel ruler... to score through the outer layers. Just work slowly. Make a test piece so you get the feel for it.

Also I couldn't see how to keep the matrix out of the hinge cloth. I figured I'd have to just score and break it like cutting a piece of window glass.
Right, again it's not so complicated.. no waxing of the hingeline with a crayon, no score & snap, etc. It's easy peasy. Bag the peel ply (or Kevlar) right in with the skin and core materials. Score through the outer layers when you demold (or when you remove the mylars for a regular baged wing). Flex the hinge to free it up (I apply pressure along the hingeline with a steel ruler again to hold the skin materials in place).

As you say, just go make one. It helps to boot El Diablo out of the details.
Yup.