RCU Forums - View Single Post - Safe Flying?
Thread: Safe Flying?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safe Flying?

I've read, with some amusement, a discussion on RCCanada regarding safe flying practices and the National legislation of safety.

Can773 suggested that he would prefer that only time a plane is allowed over the runway, would be during landing or takeoff and that all other manouvers should be out beyond the far edge of the runway?

What do you think?

Besides the obvious problems with enforcing "distance" and national rules that can't possibly accomodate the wide variety of airfield setups spread across the county...........

...........Personally, I think you may be missing the purpose of modelling for most when you are satisfied with watching "precision" flying at that distance? It's boring.

Everyone I've met with staying power in the hobby has an interest in "real" airplanes and their history. They love aviation. Even though they are flopping around with a 3D model or surgically flying a pattern-like ship, they have their favourite era or specific plane from the "real" world that they would rather be flying or watching fly. It's the same reason that most would rather go to Top-Gun or Hartness' estate than go to a pattern event.

Bottom line, I wouldn't want to see the warbird or cub or Extra limited to the "far" end of the runway because ultimately, most are trying to fly the illusion of reality, they would rather be in the cockpit of the real bird, but can't so we settle for the next best thing...
...........and are willing to take some perceived risk to see that Warbird up reasonbly close, roaring down the runway, instead of performing the "perfect" figure eight out where you'll never accomplish getting that tingly feeling we have when our favourite bird roars by.

IMO [8D]