RCU Forums - View Single Post - Peel Ply techniques
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 11:24 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Peel Ply techniques

Peel ply lays down quite well all by itself when it is wet out. I use it all the time on my Long EZ, and yes, it is different on full scale. I use it when I want to suck epoxy out of a layup. Put it on the layup, heat it and squeegee it and it takes the extra resin out. You don't want to starve a layup with it though. I have only vacuum bagged one set of wings on the full scale, and it was a huge pain. I would like to learn it with smaller stuff. We don't use vac much on the full scale EZs. The Berkut used it, but like I said, it was a huge pain on that bird. We did vac bag the wings on it, but something that large is tough to get all set up.

Peel ply works great for making a surface uniform so you don't have to sand as much on something that large, given you start with a good surface on the foam. If it is wavy to start with, you will get a bad surface. All my surfaces were cut over size and sanded to final size with straight bars so they are dead nuts! When the glass goes on, it is darn near perfect. Looks great when its done.