RCU Forums - View Single Post - How many park flyers have YOU seen?
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 05:43 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: How many park flyers have YOU seen?

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

Yeah, I'm just wondering who answered "11 or more"...I'm sorry, it's just either a really daft interpretation of the question, or some alternate universe of Happy Modelland where there are kids and their pipe-smoking dads all enjoying park flyers in each and every soccer and baseball field you pass. It's actually pretty rare to see a kid playing with a model airplane nowadays, which is why you can always find cheapo Estes and Air Hogs arfs in the discount bin at Radio Shack and Toys R Us. They just ain't a hot item.
And they are all on 27 or 49mhz.
I'm not particularly scared of the "park flyer menace".
Here in NYC, there is no flying allowed in Central Park, anyway!
I don't recall what I answered but why would 11 be out of line? And why would it have to be kids? Most of the Park Flyers that I have seen flying Parkflyers have been over 40.

Living on Long Island, working in NYC and having traveled some of the country on busiess and pleasure, I have to agree that there is nothing typical about NYC. It really is a place unto itself, or as abel_pranger put it, an alternate universe.

The problem with the quetsion is one of poor definition of the term Park Flyer. I read that as someone who flies in the park or some other location outside the traditional AMA club fields. I have see quite a number over the 2 years I have been flying. I have been a park flyer myself on more than one occasion. My Aerobird goes everywhere with me and sometimes I fly it in the park. Most people would classify the Aerobird as a parkflyer.

I also fly my slope gliders and my Aerobird off a cliff near the beaches which are local or state parks. Slope soaring is a lot of fun. Park flying!

So that makes me a park flyer too, even when I am flying a slope glider with no motor.

( makes me think of a Dr. Pepper commercial. ...... wouldn't you like to be a park flyer too ....)

However some people will read that as parkflyer, meaning a small electric plane. Those we fly at our AMA field all the time.

No problem no matter how you read the question. I have seen 11 parkflyers lined up next to each other on the ground and seen 5-6 in the air at one time. I have been in the company of 5 park flyers who are flying electrics and gliders in a park setting. All adults! No kids ( under 18 )

So 11 in two years? Fogedabout it! Way more than 11.