View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: leader member

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

OK Guys I need some info or direction to the proper contact within the AMA.

At tonight’s club meeting one of our members, who is a leader member, made the statement that to become a leader member a modeler must be in the hobby for 40 years.
I have never heard of such a requirement but who knows…stranger things are true.

He also stated that the AMA revokes memberships from members at the rate of three or four memberships per month at the discretion or direction of leader members requests…haven’t heard of that one either.

Is this correct or is this guy just full of it?

I need to know and I am not sure who to contact to get concise info. Please feel free to enlighten me.
On issues like this it is best to go to the AMA web site, publications and see if there is something that covers this. In this case it is well covered.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-Files/907.pdf states:

I hereby apply for LEADER MEMBERSHIP in the Academy of Model Aeronautics in the category for which I am best suited by reason of experience, profession, and present model aviation activity. The requirement of being a member for three years the following motion was made on 10/27/90: The Vice President of each district may waive this requirement for extraordinary situations and/or conditions. (Only Open AMA Members, 19 years or older, who have been members for the three years prior to application, are eligible.)

The membership manual defines Leader Member as:

LEADER MEMBERS. Those Open members who have demonstrated an above-average interest and/or participation in AMA matters and who qualify in accordance with Executive
Council-approved requirements. Which are rather difficult to pin down.

Of course this in itself is rather vague - as are a number of definitions and rules in the manual.

Unfortunately the application does not bar people from being a leader member that have no clue as to how the AMA operates or what the rules/regulations/proceedures are.