RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reaction 54 Jet Kit
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

Dave, I told you this type of airframe testing is not recommended by BTE Glad it was repairable.

Dean and company. Sounds like you all had quite a weekend of flying, the kind that sticks in your memory. I'm jealous!

Others might be interested to know that both Dean and his friend John W. (camo R54) had come to the conclusion that the R54 lands better with something less than the full 60 degrees of flap deflection. Dean is using 35 degrees, but he also uses spoilerons (ailerons popped up about 1/4") for a solid approach and no-float landing. This is something I will be testing thoroughly when my next R54 is done. Just thought I'd pass that on for others who might like to experiment.

I hate to make it sound like the R54 is untested - it went through a rigorous flight test. But as I have made clear in the past, the flaps (and ailerons) for the kit were enlarged to hopefully overcome a bit of floatiness in the prototype. So far, it sounds as though the larger flaps are doing their job! Thanks for the input, Dean.

Bruce
-------------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Bruce,
I agree with Dean on the flaps. I use 30 degree almost exclusivly. I only use full flap (60 degrees) IF i'm hot on the approach and only then apply them when over the threshold. With full flaps I seem to "almost" run out of up elevator for the flair.

Dave Rigotti