RCU Forums - View Single Post - it possible to biuld a small guillows model and equipt it with aGuillows Model R/C with .049 or IPS?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: it possible to biuld a small guillows model and equipt it with aGuillows Model R/C with .049 or IPS?

The MUSTANG that I recently built is 25", the dimensions were taken from a Guillows kit. The number of pieces involved, the poor quality of the wood, etc. make them poor choices for guys who are just getting started. If you are an experienced small RC modeler, then there is your challenge. For a guy with a little bit of building experience, I would skip the sticks and build a facsimile out of balsa sheet, and increase the wing area and tail group area to be proportionate with the bigger wing. 200 square inches or so of wing area wouldn't hurt the overall appearance, it would still look like a P-51, and you could make the whole plane out of mostly 3/32", 1/8" balsa sheet, and use either light 1/4" sheet that is carved for the wing, or stick with the GUILLOWS method of construction. A rubber power flyer from around here uses the GUILLOWS kit pieces as templates that he transfers over to hand selected, light wood. These planes are covered with tissue and are incredibly light. One of these models that this guy has done would be a great candidate for micro electric RC, but he would probably punch me for just thinking that thought.