RCU Forums - View Single Post - Technopower 5B radial discussion.
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Technopower 5B radial discussion.

William Robison
Community Moderator
Certified

Eugene:

I spent many a happy hour in the Hsi Men Ting. I lived in T'aiPei many years ago.

Marc's recommended fuel is 7% oil, no more than 5% nitromethane, with the balance methanol. The oil, again per Marc, is synthetic. I still prefer using some castor oil in the mix, 7% synthetic with 3% castor giving a total oil content of 10%.

No, it is not ordinary motor oil either, whether synthetic or refined from crude. Most "Motor" oils won't mix well with the methanol. If you want to experiment and find one that will, do it in some cheap OS engine, not your nice radial. If it comes to that I'd be inclined to check the "Two Stroke" oils first, as they probably have the least additives.

I used to buy methanol and castor in the West Gate market area and mix my own "Standard" fuel, the nitro probably can be found there too. Everything else is there somewhere. You might even find someone selling Klotz oils. Or the Aerosynth that Jaka likes so much.

If all else fails just stay with a good grade of castor, run it 8-10% content. Nitro also is not necessary.

Good hunting.

Bill.