RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aerobird challenges
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
marksmu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerobird challenges

A similar fix is to take the cheap metal clothes hangers that come with dry cleaning and a nice pair of snippers, and cut them to exactly the same length. Get out a rules and mark your midpoint on your wing and then cross them over each other across the midpoint. I made an X shape in a diagnoal with 9 or 10 inch piences for more rigidity and I taped them down to the top of the wing.

I had crashed mine originally when I started getting confident, went for my umpteenth loop and decided I would go high and come out fast to try a roll on the completed end of teh loop. Needless to say I climbed to about 200 feet and punched the throttle to 100% with the nose pointed at the ground, held it for a few seconds till she was cooking at the ground and gave it full up....made it 40% of the way thru the loop when the wing folded straight up the centerline and let me tell you...not much survived.

I took the same wing taht folded, and added the above fix, and pushed the motor back into the mount better, added a new tail, and trimmed it out, and it flew great. Decided I would see if my fix would hold up to the same manuver as the initial crash. The plane completed the loop just fine but the roll was not as successful

Anyways short story long....Use metal clothes hangers and tape em down, in an X for wing rigidity, it works well.