RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reaction 54 Jet Kit
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Folks,
I've had 2 flameouts due to the UAT being sucked low or dry with plenty of fuel remaining in the main tank. I checked my system for air leaks and found none. I could run the turbine at WOT on the ground without getting any air in the UAT. I would then fly for a few minutes and afterwards, the UAT would have a significant amount of air in it. I'm using a Jet Tech tank that was built to my specifications and holds 72oz's. I'm convinenced the forward facing clunk is getting exposed during flight. I DO fly alot of split s's, rolling and looping manuvers. The last flameout was at 1/4 tank on take off and climbout after a touch and go just after the wheels hit the wells.

I'm not saying Bruce's 50oz tank setup is bad. Quite the contrary. He has many more flights than I do. Others have not had this problem either. Is it specific to the volume of the 72oz tank? I really can't say. Bruce has done a wonderful job with this aircraft and all that fly mine are impressed with its flight qualities.

Anyway.....I've switched the tank around to have a rear facing clunk. All other fuel components stayed the same, the pump and valves, etc. I cut a hole in the LE bulkhead to allow the tank tubes to pass through. I routed the overflow out the bottom just in front of the leading edge as before and the pickup line gets routed to the rear mounted UAT. I've got 10 flights on this setup and am happy to report that the MOST air in the UAT does not even get to the cap. I'd say 1/15-1/20th. I flew this at Bardstown, KY with alot of airport runway at my disposal if needed. I'm comfortable with it now. I did need to install the tygon tubing after the tank was installed.

Below are some pictures of MY setup. Again...On MY R54 I found this necessary to do. Yours may be different.

Dave Rigotti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20353.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	281207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37091.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	281208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43880.jpg
Views:	106