RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Super (Balsa) Bandit
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 02:27 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BVM Super (Balsa) Bandit

The canopy is retained by 7 slide-in "hooks". These are fitted one at a time, both to ease assembly and to ensure that the initial good fit of the canopy is not compromised by the positioning of the hooks.

The procedure called out in the manual is to glue one hook in place on the canopy, then transfer the location to the fuselage, making a slot in the fibreglass for the hook to pass through... then adjust the slot sideways as necessary to ensure that the canopy sides and fuselage sides match perfectly. Any "slop" introduced by widening the slot is then removed by putting thick CA on one side of the hook (to make the hook wider).

I have used the above procedure previously, and it works just fine. I now use a slightly different approach though, just because I find it to be a bit neater.

Here's how I start off. Instead of firmly gluing the hook into the canopy, I only tack-glue it. Using my trusty plastic vernier, I measure the distance between the outer side of the hook and the outer side of the canopy. I then transfer this measurement to the fuselage in order to verify or adjust the pre-marked positions, as shown in the photo below.

Next, I trial fit the canopy, check whether any adjustments need to be made, and if so, I undo the tack-glue joint of the hook to the canopy, adjust the slot in the wooden canopy frame, re-tack the hook in place, and repeat until a perfect fit is achieved. In this way, I do not open up the slots in the fibreglass at all and don't need to widen the hooks with CA.

Like I mentioned though - my use of a different approach is just a personal preference - the procedure that BVM outlines works just fine, so you should not be put off from following it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32218_3215.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	18691