RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Super (Balsa) Bandit
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rounding the canopy hooks

The manual indicates that "You can also sand the square edges off bottom and back edges of the hooks to ease canopy removal", and it mentions this after you have added plywood shims that serve not only to strengthen the fuselage areas where you have cut slots, but also to pull the canopy firmly downwards when you slide it into place.

I would recommend that you round the edges of the hooks before you add the ply shims, otherwise you may find yourself in the position I got into, where the canopy did not want to come off after I glued the shims in place. At first I thought I had screwed up and managed to get a drop of glue in the wrong place, but then I realised that couldn't be the case since the canopy would slide backwards about 1/32". I finally realised that what had happened was that for one of the hooks, the rear edge of slot in the fuselage was catching against the rear edge of the hook, not allowing sufficient movement for removal. This had not previously shown up because the thin fibreglass flange on the fuselage had simply flexed a little bit, allowing the hook to move. With the plywood stiffener/shim in place though, (a) the hook was drawn further down into the slot, and (b) this flexing could not happen. Once I identified the problem, the solution was simple - insert an X-acto knife in gap between the canopy and fuselage flange and apply enough pressure to allow the hook to pop out.

After I rounded the edged of the hooks this was not a problem, as the rounded hook edge could no longer catch on the slot edge. In other words, BVM's suggestion of rounding the parts is spot-on, but you might want to do it before adding the shims.

My camera is not very good with real close-ups, so I appologize for the quality of this picture. It attempts to show the initial square edge of the rear of the hook (left-side pic, look at closest hook), and then the rounding of the part to remove that edge (see right-side pic, look at furthest away hook).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32220_3215.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	18692