RCU Forums - View Single Post - How does a Gyro work on Rudder Application?
Old 06-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Warbirdz01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How does a Gyro work on Rudder Application?

Twinman.........Good data for those that are interested in having some alternatives to the "Normal" flying..........but it can't be said enough............can't learn the tricks of the trade..........til you learn the trade.............I have seen all too many pilots go into twins with minimal to average flying skills...............recipe for trouble..........need to have proficient skills and specifically if its a giant scale warbird twin.......better have several hundred flights on large warbirds in general.......they have unique characteristics.....and it takes some time to adapt to them..........I think its improtant to hone skills..........then add a gyro.............not the other way around..........I learned to fly warbirds with a AT6 Texan............probably not the best first airplane................but I learned how to use the rudder in a hurry...........If you can't fly a warbird around the pattern using the rudder..........better work on those skills........because a twin won't tolerate an aileron only turn............definitely sags in the turns..........last but probably most important........reliable powerplants.........when in doubt.....stay on the ground............also , when flying twins try to fly at a field with some areas for bailing out..........in case a need arises.............I haven't used any gyros up to now.................but would like to.......just to see what the differences are in flying....................one comment about the P-38...............my friends Ziroli P-38 with 3.2 Brisons lost an engine on 4 different occasions.................and flew just fine on one engine.......no unusual yaw or rolling tendency.........just flew around the pattern with some rudder trim and landed............Bill.......