RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly
Old 06-12-2005, 12:35 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Neo,
I think he was generalizing the gas weight and giving the weight of his electric power version. I wish mine was only 15,8. Mine came out to 16lb 7oz. The only thing I did that added weight was I'm using a pair of 1650nimh packs for the rx, a 2000nimh for the ignition and a Slimline smoke muffler but no smoke system. Everything else was stock.
Matt
Yes Matt, but those "only" things you did add up to almost exactly the amount of weight that you are "over" 15,8.

Replace the Slimline with a stock DA muffler... save 7-8 oz. Kill the redundant batteries and switches... save another 6oz (approx). That gets you very close to 15,8. Use a CF spinner, save another 2-4 oz. Now you're getting closer to 15,4 like mine. It's all in the choices you make during setup. I'm not saying you made any wrong choices... just that they explain the extra weight your Yak has.

As for comparing the "generalized" gas weight of 15,8... It doesn't mean anything to compare that to an electric setup that has been "optimized" for optimum wingloading. For example, the electric plane listed above has NO spinner. Your saving a quarter pound there alone. You just have to make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing gas to electric weights.

Two planes set up exactly the same "EXCEPT" for powerplants can be compared... not an "average" gas compared to an electric at the lightest possible weight. Electric Yaks can come in at over 15 pounds too if not optimized for minimum weight.

Tom