RCU Forums - View Single Post - Parkzone P-51 Preflight check list and Launch tips
Old 06-12-2005, 10:39 PM
L0stS0ul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone P-51 Preflight check list and Launch tips

Make sure you have a large enough area to fly the plane in!

I took my cub up yesterday and was flying around a new field I had never flown in before. More trees than I am used to and more rectangular. The cub had no problems so I decided to take the p-51 up. Just about the second the plane left my hand I knew that I was in for it. The plane was eating up ground like crazy. Before I knew it I was banking it really hard trying to keep it in the area. At one point I lost sight of it behind some trees but luckily I knew the area well enough that if I kept it pointed where it was going it would come back out with no issues. The plane came back around and I got it into a landing pattern. At this point I'm freaking. No way I'm going to try another pass due to the small area. I get the plane down but not fast enough. At about 6 inches off the ground there was a tree that cracked the wing in half. Amazingly that's the only damage but thinking back now I should have nosed her in and broke the prop. It would have been cheaper lol.

I'd say this is my first real crash. Could have been a lot worse. Cant believe that the only damage is the wing.