RCU Forums - View Single Post - Risk Takers?
Thread: Risk Takers?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Risk Takers?

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

What is a low pass anyway ? Under 30 feet ? 10 feet ? 100 feet ? With a rundway 50 feet wide and the pilot stations 30 feet from the runway, is a low pass dangerous ? It could be made 80 feet from any person. Is 50 feet up safer than 80 feet in front of you ?
I don't understand the reasoning.

How about "LANDING".........pause......"MISSED APPROACH".

Well now, Barney Ol' Pard< it almost like you're trying to call me out![>:]

Jetero's rules say; "5.Do not make High-Speed Low Passes over the runway, when any other pilot station is occupied."

That rule was decided many years ago to be a safe and sane rule. It's not new. Certainly there are many ways to question what is what. In the long run, no one gets called if the pass is fairly high. Landing approaches are normally slow and a go-around sometimes must be made. A couple of those go-arounds, especially if initiated at the end of the runway, and not climbing out at a decent angle will probably get one a call. Definition of low pass; hard to say, but anything distracting my attention from my airplane will get whomever a few words, jest at first, but serious before the 3rd strike. [:-]

Maybe you were not into ATC when the first arrival routings were brought into play, followed by the canned departure routes. These ATC Rules are made for one reason only and that is for the lowest denominator ATC controller. They definitely impede arrivals and departures, creating untold airline delays when some Thunder-Bumps are moving through. Controllers have no real authority to route aircraft off the canned routings and through the great amount of available airspace. (I was flying jets when we went all over the country VFR-OT at ALL altitudes.) So that routing/sector gets shut down and up-line machines hold at the gate. Total waste of time, fuel, and scheduling.

Likewise, a well managed RC Club will have rules geared for the lowest denominator solo qualified pilot. Certainly, like the ATC rules, stringent field rules will edge in on some hot-rock's fun, and possibly delay the showing-off, "Looka' me," mentality, yet it will keep the majority safe while indicating due-diligence performance by those in charge.
BTW, I was starting an engine near the flight line some years ago. A visiting pilot lost a .46 P-51 on a show-off maneuver. It poked a hole a foot deep about 2 ft. behind my back after a fig.9 inverted dive about a foot over my head. [X(]
Just recently another excellent pilot was going to make that low inverted pass with a gas-burner P-47 (about 3 years of show/contest flying with it} but *wham-mo* confetti over an area 100 x 80 or abouts. Could have been into the pits.

That is why our club prohibits over the runway low passes and 3D maneuvering, WHEN another pilot-station is occupied. Fortunately we have a lot of that time.
We are also fortunate to have some 3000 ft. across the runway of low cut coastal-bermuda hay to fly over. If I had my say nothing other than approaches, landings, and take-offs would EVER be flown OVER the runway.
What others do at their facilities is THEIR business. At our club it is OUR business.