RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hanger 9 80" CAP
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Scott H.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 80" CAP

Hi Greg,

I'm running a BME 44. I swapped out all the bolts and screws except the shouldered screw for the pump cover with aluminum screws. With 20x8 Bambula and a CF spinner (lightened back plate) it was so light up front I had to add 12 oz of ballast. That's why I ended up putting a smoke system in. I'm also using the 120 size World models engine mount cut down to the bare minimum (this mount also absorbs just enough engine vibration).
That pump cover screw and the servo screws are the only steel fastners left in the plane...oh wait, I didn't change the "T" nuts either.

I like the BME it allows me to fly between 10 and 15 minutes on a 16oz tank, which also helps keep the weight down, and it's got stump pulling torque.

On changing out all the steel screws with aluminum on the engine, it was suggested by Keith at BME not to do that. He didn't feel the screws had enough holding power. So far I've had no issues at all.

All in all when I compared the weight of all the fasteners I replaced with Aluminum it came to a little over 1.5 lbs. I was pleasantly supprised by that.

I'm also running a LiPoly 1,000mA ignition pack, and a 3KmA LiPoly pack with regulators for the flight controls. That took a lot of weight away as well.
The smoke system is a Sky Writer with an 1,100mA NiMH pack mounted on a wood plate over the muffler. The tank ( I think 8 oz) sits on top of the gear plate cross the fuselage, so there's not too much change in CG full to empty. Some where is one of the threads on this plane I've posted some pictures.

Scott