RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gasoline engine starters.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2002, 01:29 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline engine starters.

augiep38

Maybe I am missing something, but why do you need a starter for a gas engine? I thought one of the advantages of going gas was less support equipment.

You didn't miss a thing, it's a personal preference thing. Here's some reasons I can think of.

As dirtybird pointed out, having a 'persuader' around when compression builds up is a nice thing. That's point number one.

A second point is some folks like all four fingers and their thumb intact. Not to be mean, but some of us get a bit slower as we age and getting our 'paws' out of the way after a flip is getting harder and harder. (I fit in this category )

Third point (and this one is my own preference), I would rather use a starter with any engine because any slip (no matter how small) could equal a lost finger, deep cut, etc. I just don't want to deal with it. Even if using a starter stick.

Yes, the whole idea behind having a electronic ignition on your gasser is to make it easy starting, it's a personal preference if you want to flip it by hand or use a stick, or starter. Just a safety thing. Or something to make yourself feel safer.

I watch these guys at meets give these 150cc engines a flip with no glove, just bare hands and then fly. Yea, the engine is well broke in and it'll usually start on the first flip after it's all warmed up and running for awhile. It scares the hell out of me, one little mistake or slip...... :disappoin

Just my opinions.....