RCU Forums - View Single Post - MAAC - Whats the Problem?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MAAC - Whats the Problem?

ORIGINAL: jhelps
It is well understood that most members do not have Internet access, but that is no excuse for not using that venue as a prime forum for information passage.
Huh? This seems rather contradictory.
Besides, MAAC does have a website, and a policy for Internet usage....
The problem I see with MAAC forum communications is anonymity. How can I trust someone who identifies themself merely as 'britbrat'. Are they even a MAAC member? Even though I identify myself by name, can you be sure it's the same Jim McIntyre you've met in person without calling me and asking if it's really me? Then why not just call me in the first place?

... There will be everything from it is impossible to properly form the questions thereby skewing the answers ... to "have you any idea what that would cost?" to veiled responses which suggest that the membership at large does not know what is best for them!!!
Why do you think these rebuttals are any less valid than the suggestion? From what I've seen, these threads degrade to personal attacks rapidly and are locked as a result. Not as a result of any inferred "old boy club" policy....

Try suggesting these three questions (Word them anyway you want):
Wording for questionaires, referendum votes etc. has proven to be an interesting filed of study for both psychology and philosophy fields. From what little I have read, it seems it is impossible to word any question precise enough to have meaning without evoking an emotional response that some spin is being attempted.

I will not respond to your hypothetical questions (for I comprehend them as such) but, I can certainly see how the wording could be interpreted to evoke a specific desired response....

What's worse, if history repeats itself (as it often does) the results will be interpreted out of context. A good example of this is the last survey done by MAAC with many involved in these discussions interpreting responses to a question worded something like "What type of activity do you participate in" as showing that these people did not support other interests.