RCU Forums - View Single Post - LR-1 Pylon racer
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LR-1 Pylon racer

Sorry no video,
Best I can do for now is a maiden flight report on my glow version.

"Mystery" .36 engine, decided to use apc 8x7 prop, tached at around 16000rpm. 3lb-1 oz without fuel. Empty CG at 2 5/8 "behind LE at fuse (27.5% of MAC)

First take off attempt: Gee, its got torque! and why doesn't the rudder/tailwheel respond? Off to the left infield grass, nose over at slow speed.

Second takeoff attempt: OK,use a little up elev to keep the tailwheel on the ground until it picks up speed, hey! the rudder/tailwheel works much better. Nice and straight down the runway, very stable, climbs right out. A couple of clicks here and there and wow, this thing MOVES.

Flip switch to change flight mode for high speed. Opps, what the? Oh - have to re-trim for each flight mode. Glad I had lots of expo as my hands were shaking.

Everything trimmed out, a couple more laps, check the roll rate, ahh, easily manageble, my Funtana rolls much faster. Elevator response is very crisp. I can easily tell where the expo is becoming more linear. Some high speed turns with good amount of elev yanks it right around. (I should have been much higher for this, 'cause if it snaps into a high speed stall/snap, it would've been too low to recover) But happily, the plane just keeps on zipping by.

Oh, better check the low speed handling before the first landing. Get up high, pull throttle to idle, and the plane just slows down without any hint of wanting to snap over. Glide around a little bit, its pretty slow now and still very good control, no wobbling or anything.

Throttle up to half and fly around a bit. OK, time to set up some approaches. Wait a minute, isn't the plane suppose to slow down when I move the throttle stick to idle?? Hey! its speeding up to full throttle!! OK, lost throttle control, so something broke off or came loose. Great, I'll have to deadstick a maiden flight. Well, lets fly some speed laps... Man this thing can get small in a hurry. And you need to concentrate when it is coming at you because the frontal view is very small, and is easy to loose sight. Just have to relax for a second and it reappears again.

Whew, finally ran out of fuel, around 12 minutes on that 8 oz tank. Glides very well with the nose slightly down. Nervous twitch at touch down and I get a bounce, second flare gets it on the ground, slows down and noses over. Only a minor scratch on the spinner.

I have the landing gear mounted on the wing LE instead of the fuse, so I might move it up if I keep nosing it over. Its just a little tight with the MACS muffler/mini-pipe.

Found the throttle linkage solder joint came loose. It was an old throttle cable from my parts drawer.

WOW, WHAT A RUSH!!

I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT!!!