RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to the hobby and need radio help
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 11:06 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: New to the hobby and need radio help

ORIGINAL: michpittsman

Ed-Search under NSRCA and Trimming to find the chart; also Dave Patrick includes one with his planes.

Planning on buying one radio to last you for many years is not realistic; it would be obsolete in 3 or 4 years, or you may see another one that suits your purposes better before then. Your interests will probably change somewhere down the road. I only keep my best radio for a maximum of 3 or 4 years and if it still satisfies my needs, I buy another just like it, and either sell the old one or keep it for a backup. By then it will at least need new batteries and some preventative maintenance.
Jim
Thanks for the tip on the search.

As for changing or replacing radios every 3-4 years as a matter of routine, I have never met anyone, other than the members of the factory teams, who do that, but I guess there are some who always want the newest. When you are ready to roll yours, let me know. I may know some club members who will be shopping for a deal.

Members of my club have radios that are 10-15 years old that they use every week. Perhaps they have been in for service once in their life. Probably received a new set of batteries somewhere along the way. But batteries are a lot cheaper than a new radio.

I have had my Futaba 9C for a year and have no intention of replacing it for the forseeable future. With unliminted model memories and 9 channel capability, unless I go into serious competition, I can't think of any reason I will need to replace it.

I also have a Hitec Prism 7X, which was replaced in the Hitec line by the Eclipse 7. I bought it used on e-bay. I would guess it is at least 6 years old. Maybe I bought it from you.

Had one problem with it. Hitec fixed it for free. Works like a champ! I picked up a second pack for it for $12 so I always have a fresh pack.

The JR 9303 is entry level professional equipment. Well beyond my budget or needs.

If you outgrow that, you better be getting paid to fly, or need more channels. Other than that, that radio will do pretty much anything your little heart desires, and with 30 model memories, you should have plenty of room for flyable planes.

I have flown with serious competition sailplane pilots who use that radio.