RCU Forums - View Single Post - Got my new Speed Meter
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 03:06 AM
jkulhanek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got my new Speed Meter

ORIGINAL: InfinitySpeed04

I was wonderin. Does the speed meter really give accurate readings. I want to know because I want to know if my car is going as fast as the meter says.
If you set it up correctly (don't listen the how they set it up in the manual) it *should* be ok, but does not account for tyre balooning/expansion.

With it I get 35mph or 56km/h with my ultima buggy. But since the tyre expansion is not accoundted for i'd say it's doing closer to 40mph. It's running a ported O.S. .12, and is geared for acceleration rather than top speed.

To set up the speed meter, lay a few feet of masking tape down on a bench or table top, and put a mark on the end of the tape where you wish to start rolling the car.

Now place the car down so the rear axle is directly inline with the line you have just drawn. Then push the car so the sensor on the tranny makes 5 complete rotations. and mark the tape where you finished (make sure it's directly below the axle once again).

Repeat rolling the vehicle 2 more times and you should have 3 small marks very close to each other.

Measure all 3 distances and take the average, THEN make sure you divide the answer by 5, because you made the tranny do 5 rotations.

Enter the data into the speed meter..

Record the reading and the type of tyre, this way you can easily adjust it for different tyres with different profiles.