RCU Forums - View Single Post - Risk Takers?
Thread: Risk Takers?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Wings of Peril

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Risk Takers?

Some people are into the hobby for relaxation. Whether watching or flying, others enjoy the thrills, the excitement, the risks, or even a bit of danger. The ones that aren't getting a taste of each may not be getting full enjoyment from the experience. When I go to the field, I know the safety and equipment risks and I watch my own backside by trying to stay alert whenever flying isn't demanding my full concentration. I don't care if you're flying 3D, a novice with a trainer, a pro (or just think you are) with a $5,000 model, a group of guys intentionally crashing a flaming model or Dave Brown flying whatever - I don't have any trust when it comes to my personnel safety. I don't make assumptions about my own skills or equipment. I don't trust your skills, your equipment, your technology - and I don't trust you!

If someone's flying habits offends you, it's up to you to confront them. It could be a safety issue or a matter of them hogging runway space with 3D flying or endless touch 'n goes and fly-bys. According to rules, we're required to confront flyers who break the safety codes but I think there are cases that require judgment on whether or not to do that. Also, when it comes to personnel safety, some of the dumbest things I've things I've seen at the field have nothing to do with actual flying. For example, some people tinker endlessly with their models, requiring their full concentration, on the flight line - or too close to it. Beyond all of this, Horrace makes an excellent point about "unsuspecting spectators" who may not know the risks. When you consider all of their potential actions and the variety of facilities available, there are just too many different scenarios. We should do the best we can and use common sense.

I read a post on this forum that tried to correct someone when they used the term "real aircraft" instead of "full-scale". When we say "real aircraft", we should not have to explain to anyone that we mean full-scale. What we fly are not real airplanes. We are not pilots and we should get over it. These are models. If you have a pilot's license, then good for you - we're talking about models here. I fly R/C with a guy uses the term "model" almost exclusively - not "plane", "aircraft", "airplane" or the scale name alone. He's correct in his terminology and I've noticed that it's rubbing off on other people. R/C aircraft are really toys but the bigger, heavier, faster or more expensive they become, the less toy-like they are. In my opinion, the bigger, heavier, faster models are more dangerous, no matter who is on the sticks because the potential for serious injury or death is greater - but I love 'em and the risks involved, which add to the thrills to some degree, will not keep me away from the field or prevent me from attending an event.