RCU Forums - View Single Post - FUNTANA 90 and Seagull HARRIER 3D .90 ARF??
Old 07-14-2005, 11:08 PM
FallingWithStyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUNTANA 90 and Seagull HARRIER 3D .90 ARF??

Thanks for the FuntanaS 90 model!

I own a real one with a Saito 100 on board. Here's my setup that makes the sim behave like the my real plane:

Engine: weight 1.7lb (yes the 100 is that light!), HP 1.7lb, min rpm 1900, max rpm 9700 (w/ 16x4 prop)
Prop: 16"x4"
Fuse: weight 3.2 lb (AUW target is 8.5lb. I took all of the extra weight out of the fuse to reach this in the sim)
Wings: semi-span 34", aileron deflection 30 deg (real life is near 45 deg but the sim roll rate is too high at that number)

This produces a wing area of 1110 sq in just like the real thing. You get an incredibly low ~17 oz/sqft wingloading just like mine!

Run the sim at 100% speed for good realism.

Tip: to harrier this plane, use a 100% elevator->spoileron mix. I just tried this tonight and it was the first time I was able to harrier the plane (caveat: I'm a novice 3d pilot). I think the mix is needed because it is otherwise nearly impossible to cleanly stall out a wing that is this lightly loaded; you'll get severe wing rocking. I'm going to try this on my real one this weekend.

Happy Flying!
Clark

Corrections: upon further inspection I see that the ailerons on my real F90 do indeed max at 30 degrees, so the sim is actually very accurate re: roll rate. Also I was able to easily harrier my real F90 this evening using a 50% elevator -> spoileron mix so I think the sim mix can be set lower as well...

Another correction: the sim plane doesn't have as much KE coupling as the real thing. But I mix out the coupling on the real thing anyway. (That's why I didn't notice it at first.)