RCU Forums - View Single Post - Problem positioning Superstar on Falcon floats
Old 07-18-2005, 06:09 PM
sky_dancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem positioning Superstar on Falcon floats

I have a Hobbico Superstar that I'm in the process of converting to a float plane. It's one of the RTF versions that came with engine and radio. I have recovered it, made a bolt down wing mount and changed out the OS LA .40 engine for a .46 FX in order to give it some more power to haul the floats around.
The reccomended CG for this bird is 3 and 5/8 inches back from the leading edge of the wing. It used to balance out of the box but now I'm going to have to put about an ounce and a half of weight on the tail to get it to balance. This was checked with the original landing dear still on the plane. I suspect the extra weight from the .46 FX is why it's nose heavy.
I'm trying to get a set of Falcon floats with the trike gear mounting set installed and I'm having some problem with the placement of the floats.
As near as I can tell if I position the step even with or a bit behind the CG then I'm going to have very little protrusion of the float tips out past the prop. I'm wondering if this will be an issue? I'm also having a hard time judging where the step is in relation to the CG by just eyeballing it. Is there a trick to doing this? I'm getting a bit frustrated.
Thanks for any help,
Michael