RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bought R40 have questions
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Nitroaddict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bought R40 have questions

Stanmart - I am also in the Orlando area about once a month - I race at the Superior hobbies track all the time - as well as in kissimmee but with my 8th scale there. Welcome! The R40 is a great car, and even without experience, is a great vehicle = just get a pro to set it up for you so it handles properly. Feel free to PM me with any help questions you might have.

Superior hobbies will have most of the stuff you need - as far as engines go - there are many good ones out there - but you don't need a fast one for at least the first year - as you will perform better just trying to get around the track smoothly.

On that note however, contrary to popular belief - the higher end engines will tune better, run cooler, and stay on the pipe easier than cheaper engines. I would recommend getting an entry level racing engine to start with - you will pay more than the lesser engines designed for playing around, and you won't be able to use its full potential for a while, but it will be worth it in the long run. Many of the entry level race engines will come with a carb restrictor that will tone down engine performance until you get used to it.

Take a look at the RB Concepts X12 and V12 3ports, Mugen MR12, and Novarossi S3. These engines are all in the 180-220 range but will last you a long time. I run an RB Concepts Rody modified V12 5port and just love it. It has won many races there for me.