RCU Forums - View Single Post - So there I was... (post your funny crash stories here)
Old 07-22-2005, 03:44 PM
ProBroJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So there I was...

Ahhhhh.... trees and models - specifically evergreens.

A few weeks ago I was visiting my folks in WV and took one of those Horrible Freight (Harbor Freight) rechargeable free-flight electric planes with me - just for laughs. I didn't really expect much for $7, but I thought it could be fun for a few laughs.

Now, it's been raining on and off all day, and it was one of those dead still lulls in between showers so I figured what the heck, now is a good as time as any. Hey, whattya know, this darn thing actually flies pretty well...

On about the 10th flight, the winds had shifted and I managed to get the plane stuck about 25' up in a big ole pine tree, waaaay out on a limb. Instead of getting one of my much younger nephews (who were there, watching the antics) to climb the tree and get it down, what do I do? Yep, I go up after it.

So there I was... jumping up and down on this wet, slippery, and way undersized (for my weight) limb trying to dislodge this $7 airplane before the rains returned. I actually stopped for a brief moment and pondered just what the heck I was doing... BUT returned to maniacally freeing the airplane from the tree. No, I didn't fall, or break the airplane, but I got scratched up pretty good and managed to get sap all over my brand new shorts (that my wife bought for me the day before). Did I mention this was a SEVEN DOLLAR airplane?!?!?!

Obviously not one of my brighter moments...

-Joe