RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carbonfiber byron mustang blades
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2003, 05:36 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbonfiber byron mustang blades

Jack and all, I wish I would have found this thread months ago, as I could have dispelled some bad information that was given then.

Mustang51 was incorrect. You can't "copywrite" a manufactured item, only patent it's design. And as was pointed out, patents have a lifespan (generally 17 years). I'm fairly certain all the Byron prop patents have expired.

As to Bolly's response, I think that's a matter of opinion, although I admire them for their high morals. Once patents expire, there is no prohibition on copying at all. Interestingly, an somewhat analagous situation existed in the model railroading world until just a few years ago. A company called Kadee came up with a magnetically operated knuckle coupler design in the late 60's. By prominently displaying "patents pending" on the front of their packaging (which turned out to be only patents on the packaging[!]), they actually managed to maintain their monopoly (not to mention their high price) on the design until about 1995. Now, there are about a dozen manufacturers of knockoffs and evolutions of their design, and the price of this type of coupler has come down substantially, purely because someone finally decided to check into the validity of their patents.

In the Byron case, I've never seen any patent claims (except on this web site ;-))on anything, and as I said before given the prior art existing for multi-blade systems, plastic props, and adjustable blades, I doubt any of it would be patentable.

As to my particular situation, not being a Byron Mustang drive owner, I didn't realize before that there are two designs of Byron multiblade props. I unfortunately own the Corsair style of screw-in blade, so Roberto's copies wouldn't be any use to me right now. However, I *am* in the market for one of the Mustang drives, so the minute I get ahold of one I'll be right back here... and if Roberto deside's to make copies of the Corsair-type blade to, I'll be at the top of the list for a couple sets.