RCU Forums - View Single Post - ThunderTiger Rare Bear
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Ad Clark III
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

BEST ARF EVER!!!!! just kidding. Definately the worst ARF I have ever assembled for all the reasons previously mentioned. Having said that, I am getting ready to maiden mine this weekend. Any advice on control throws or CG? or any other mods I might have overlooked. Mine has the 160 in it and all the modifications and then some to the airframe. So far the only thing I have not had to modify are the decals. Great looking plane, just a pain in the arss to modify everything so it will work.
Some of the mods include
1. I went to an archery shop and bought several carbon fiber arrowshafts to make the ones in the stab twice as long.
2. Replaced the rib on the stab at the root with one that was approx 1" thick that was made out of 1/4 ply and 3/4 balsa
3. Elev pushrod made out of carbon fiber arrowshaft.
4. Added extra 1/2 ply to firewall.
5. Installed BVM pneumatic retracts. Basically cut out all the factory mounts, wasnt real hard since they didnt use any glue. Installed new longer plywood mounts that I tied into 5 ribs with BVM aeropoxy I then used carbon fiber cloth all the bays between the ribs.
Couple of questions to those who have flown with the 160.
1. Did you open up the cowling around the head for extra cooling even though the head does not protrude through the side of the cowling? Or did you just make a hole big enough for the glow plug? I am concerned about cooling because of that big spinner.
2. Tailwheel springs? thought I remember someone saying they might be too weak.
Other than that Ill let you know how the first flights go.......later