RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mounts for wing-mounted wire gear
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 PM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mounts for wing-mounted wire gear

Ehhh, you're not going to get around re-positioning the gear. I moved my gear to just in front of the spar (about the same distance as they originally were behind the spar), and I still had to bend them forward a bunch to keep the plane from tipping over occasionally on grass (and to keep enough force on the tailwheel for it to be effective). I have a page detailing the project here: http://rtccom.net/~mattb/tiger.html the pics don't work right now, but there's lots of text. Notice the ground handling problems mentioned near the top of the page..........I'm not sure I would even want to mount the gear in the same place if I were to do this again, I'd probably go forward at least another 1/4" or so.

My plane ended up slightly more tail heavy than before, due to removal of the nose gear, and added weight of the tailwheel and more covering in the tail. It was fairly docile before, moving the CG back very slightly like this livened it up a bit. If the plane flies well now, DO NOT mess with the CG to make the gear work. And if it's a bit tail heavy already for aerobatics, definitely make a note of the CG location and add nose weight after the conversion to make sure you maintain this CG.

If you were to add enough tail weight to make the plane even just taxi ok as a taildragger with the main gear in the same mounts (even if you bend them forward a bunch), the plane would probably be uncontrollable, if it even flew at all.

A probably simpler option would be to remove the old gear altogether and mount some aluminum gear on the fuselage just ahead of the wing. Some folks have done this, I stuck with the wing mounts as I felt it looked better, and provided wider stance and put the gear closer to the CG (better ground handling).

-Matt Bailey